Thursday, March 20, 2014

Let Those With Ears Hear.

You can hear a lot at Manna House if you listen.
"Put me down for a shower today and for Room in the Inn."
"I just need socks and hygiene and Room in the Inn."
"When you gonna start serving coffee?"
"Bless the coffee.”
“Make it hot!”
“Bless the sugar.”
“Make it sweet!”
“And please Lord, bless the creamer.”
“That it may take all life’s bitterness away.  AMEN!”
“I’m fixin to hit the water.”
“All of my prayers have been answered—soap and hot water.”
 “My sister died last week.  I went to the funeral.  Now I’m back here and I’m just tired of these streets.”
“You see this?  This is my banana bread creamer.  I bring my own.  No offense, but I like mine better.”
“Mike B., here for his Manna House baptism.”
“Had my two cups of coffee and my vitamin, and I’m ready for my shower.”
"Jerry's here for his shower."
"What size underwear do you wear?"
"What size pants do you wear?"
"What size t-shirt do you want?"
“This really is the best coffee in Memphis.”
“I like the mixed drinks here.  Coffee with the creamer and sugar as I see fit.”
“Big Country, why you all dressed up today?”
“I’m his lawyer.”
“So, he’ll get twenty years for his misdemeanor?”
“Where you been?  I haven’t seen you here for a long time.”
“Locked up.”
“Well, liberation for the captive!!  Thank you Jesus!!”
“Is Miss June coming today?”
“Can I get on the list for a shower?”
“Is there still room on the list for socks and hygiene?”
“Any room left for Room in the Inn?”
“Where am I on the list?”
“When do the Tigers play?”
“You see where they’re planning on spending millions on Peabody Place downtown?”
“That place was worthless.  Are they going to make it more worthless?”
“What’s the word for the day?
“For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out.  But if we have food and clothing we will be content with these.  But those who want to be rich fall into temptation, a trap, and many foolish and harmful desires, which plunge people into ruin and destruction.  For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil” (1 Timothy 6:7-10).
“True.”
“I don’t love money, but I could use some.”
“I’d like a million dollars, but today, I could just use ten.”
“I’m studying about how Israel went into the Babylonian Captivity.  They didn’t follow God’s ways, including the way they treated the poor.”
“How about asking, how has the United States abandoned God’s ways?  You can see it here.”
“You got a pair of shoes for me?  These are worn out and are making my hips hurt.”
“Hey, you students from St. Agnes look like nuns with those dresses on.  Are you nuns?”
“Can I get a pair of socks?  I know I’m late for the list, but that’s all I need.”
“Sure.”
“Last call for coffee.  Last call to use the bathroom inside.  If you need to pee for free like Jesus did in Galilee, now is the time to urinate and feel great.”

No comments:

Post a Comment