Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Backpack Man

Backpack Man
Almost from the beginning of Manna House there was a man who came about once a month with a donation of backpacks. He would enter Manna House, quietly drop off his donation, and be off without a word. At some point we talked and we got to know each other’s names. But I didn’t see him regularly enough to remember his name between his visits to make his donation, so he became known at Manna House as “Backpack Man.”
I knew he lived in my neighborhood because I would see him out on walks on Madison or Auburndale or Poplar. We would wave to each other, but he and I seemed to have an understanding that we both preferred to pass quietly.
On Monday, Charles and Inge told me they had seen an obituary in the paper that stated, “in lieu of flowers please make donations to Manna House.” They said it was someone who worked at the library, but they couldn’t remember his name. So, today I got a copy of the obituary in the mail from Charles and Inge. When I saw the picture of the person who died I sadly realized it was “Backpack Man” whose name was Roy Cajero.
It turns out that among other gifts that he generously shared in his life, Mr. Cajero was a librarian and also an excellent photographer. He worked at the library from 1975 until he retired in 2004. You can check out his photography at http://memphisroom.wordpress.com/tag/roy-cajero
Mr. Cajero helped a number of persons experiencing homelessness, and the obituary pointed out that he is remembered for “his immense empathy.” I will remember him for his quiet and faithful support of Manna House; the way he would come and go with barely a word but always with a smile. He just seemed deeply centered and peaceful. Backpack Man, you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment