Thursday, August 28, 2014

A Few Thursday at Manna House Stories

A Few Thursday at Manna House Stories

Larry stopped by today and said “hi.”  I hadn’t seen him since a rainy day last winter.  He’s staying at Alpha Omega these days, housing for veterans who have been homeless.  He talked with me about his time on the streets. 
“I don’t know exactly how I got so low, but I did, and there I was homeless.  I couldn’t believe it.” 
He’s grateful to be housed.  He not only stays at Alpha Omega, he works for them, and that is why he came by to see if we need any food.
“Do you all need any cinnamon rolls, sweet rolls, and things like that?  We get too much donated food and my job is to find other places that can use it.”
I explained that we don’t typically offer food in the morning at Manna House.  The St. Vincent de Paul Food Mission is about three blocks away from us and they begin serving at 9:30am.  Plus we’re focusing on showers and clothing and the like, and we just don’t have the room to store food.
“Great.  I’ll see if they can use it.  I wanted to come here first because I’m so grateful for how you all treated me. You remember?  I came in soaked from that cold rain; and Miss Kathleen worked me in for a hot shower and a change of clothes.  You all treated me with respect.  I’ll never forget that; I’m forever grateful.”
            Shortly after this conversation, another veteran and I started talking in the backyard.  He comes by about once a week or so, and about every couple of months he brings us several boxes of used books.
            “I used to come here and get something to read, usually a novel.  I loved to get a novel to read.  I could escape the streets in a book.  After a while the books made me think I could live differently.  So I just started to get connected with the VA and with Alpha Omega and with Jesus.  You know I was raised Catholic, then when I went into the military I drifted away.  I don’t know why.  I drifted pretty far and fell even further.  I’m still reading novels, but I’m also reading the Good Book.”
            “We’re grateful for the books,” I said, “our guests love to read!”
            “I just want to make sure other people got the help I got.  Reading helped keep me going.  Thanks to Jesus and Manna House I’m doing good now.”
            A little while later I got to watch an intense checkers game.  James and Mark were going at it fast and furious with plenty of good natured trash talking.  After one move that didn’t work so well I heard, “You getting hungry?  Low blood sugar?  You need some coffee to wake up?”
            “Don’t you try to run from me!”
            “Money move!”
            “Don’t you worry, I’m coming back.  I got one you didn’t see.”
            “Shut up and king me.”
            “I’m going to take your king.  You done messed up now.”
            “Get out!”
            “Watch this man come right into my trap.  You can’t help yourself.”
And on it went, with checkers being moved with authority.
            When we got ready to close one guest was sound asleep in one of the reclining lawn chairs.  He had his shoes off.  His mouth was wide open, and he was snoring emphatically.  It took me several tries to get him awake enough to put on his shoes and get ready to leave.
 “I’m so tired, tired of this,” he said as he walked slowly from the shaded backyard into the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment