Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Love Without Justice is Baloney

Love Without Justice is Baloney.

Gary Smith’s “Radical Compassion: Finding Christ in the Heart of the Poor” has been an important book for our practice of hospitality at Manna House.      
Smith writes, “Among the poor, the church learns to be indignant at the sight of discarded human beings, and it is taught to passionately challenge systems and structures that produce such human beings.  It is one thing to practice charity, to give a poor person some bread or to treat the same person with respect.  It is quite another thing to challenge a system in which people are hungry, in which some can be rich and many are poor.  As Cardinal Sin of the Philippines once said, ‘Love without justice is baloney.’”
            Manna House supports the Workers Interfaith Network in its efforts for worker justice and a living wage.  Manna House supports the MidSouth Peace and Justice Center and others who are working for a Civilian Law Enforcement Review Board with real power to investigate and discipline police who wrongly use their authority.  Manna House wants housing, good decent housing, for all of its guests who are without homes.  Manna House is against the death penalty, and the criminalization of the poor, and the “New Jim Crow” that uses policing and imprisonment to enforce an ongoing racist economic system.
This morning at Manna House, the conversation in the front yard and on the porch turned to the events in Baltimore, beginning with the death of Freddie Gray who died from injuries sustained while in police custody.  Among his injuries, a severed spinal cord.  His death follows many more of African American men and women at the hands of the police.
“When did ‘Protect and Serve’ become ‘Judge and Execute’?” a guest at Manna House asked.  
            “Cops using too much force” said another, “Helluva of way for that man to die.  People just ain’t gonna accept this anymore.”
            Other guests talked about the times they’ve been harshly treated by the police in Memphis.  Several shared that they have been taken on a “rough ride” in a squad car after being arrested.  Freddie Gray’s injuries may have happened in such a “rough ride” when cops take sharp turns and made sudden hard stops with their police car so that a handcuffed prisoner gets bounced around in the vehicle.   
Another said, “I’d get arrested and in the summer they’d leave me to sit in the back of the car with all the windows up and no air conditioning.  Man, it’d get so hot.  They thought it was funny.”
            “People can only take so much for so long,” said a guest who lived in Baltimore for a while.  “No jobs.  No hope.  And you keep stopping us and arresting us.  Now you’re seeing what happens.  Those people up there; they’re not playing.”
            All of these guests are black.  I’m white.  Today, as has been the case for many years, I’ve learned a great deal from these teachers on the streets.  
            “I’m tired.  We’re tired of all this,” a guest said, “This city, like Baltimore, is brutal. It’s a hard city.  I just want some respect.”
            These voices of these black men and women need to be heard.  White people especially need to shut up and listen.  A change needs to come.  Their heartache and their analysis come right out of Psalm 55.  God is with them.  

“My heart is in anguish within me, the terrors of death have fallen upon me.  Fear and trembling come upon me, and horror overwhelms me.  And I say, ‘O that I had wings like a dove!  I would fly away and be at rest; truly I would flee far away…  I would hurry to find a shelter for myself from the raging wind and tempest. …  for I see violence and strife in the city.  Day and night they go around it on its walls [note this would be the police force keeping security from atop the city walls] and iniquity and trouble are within it; ruin is in its midst; oppression and fraud do not depart from its marketplace. … But I call upon God, and the Lord will save me.  Evening and morning and at noon I utter my complaint and moan, and God will hear my voice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment