Monday, October 5, 2015

Coincidence or Providence?

Coincidence or Providence?

Maybe it is my Christian belief in providence that somehow God acts and speaks through the confluence of certain events. Or maybe I just want to make sense of life (and death), to find some order instead of wallowing in randomness. Twin died on September 27th. St Vincent de Paul died on the same date. Sarah, one of the matriarchs of Manna House, who died two years ago, was born on that date. I seek significance and even solace in such providential coincidences
            While he was alive, Twin frequented the St. Vincent de Paul Food Mission located a few blocks from Manna House. Sarah did too. Every day of the week, the Food Mission offers a meal to about two hundred people. Folks on the streets call it “The Radio Station” because for many years the Food Mission was located in an old radio station just down the street from Sacred Heart Church.
            At Manna House, we have sometimes reflected on the life and work of St. Vincent de Paul. His ministry with the poor and imprisoned provide a guide for our work. I am sure that Twin and Sarah in their insistence on attentive service would have resonated with his words, “It is not enough to give soup and bread. This the rich can do. You are the servant of the poor, always smiling and good-humored. They are your masters, terribly sensitive and exacting masters you will see. …It is only for your love alone that the poor will forgive you the bread you give to them.”
            I think Sarah forgave me the socks and hygiene, the clothing, the showers, and the coffee that I (and many others) gave to her over the years. I am not so sure about Twin. I think that uncertainty is why I have found it hard to write about him since he died. My memory of him is always going to be complicated, just as my relationship with him was complicated.
            Twin was one of the earliest guests at Manna House. When he initially came to Manna House some ten years ago, he was strong and somewhat of a bully. He sought to intimidate both other guests and volunteers. We had a few conflicts along the way. He was asked to leave at least a couple of times.
            He eventually settled into a more gracious stance. He became particularly noted for his Scrabble playing with volunteers and guests. At the same time, he remained always willing to seek some bending of rules and expectations in his favor. Twin was a survivor and he never quite abandoned his need to hustle and con. Still, he was capable of generosity, and sought in his Islam to grow in faith and love for others. He was always a very private person, revealing little about himself or his history. As his brother told me at the memorial service, “He was hurt bad once and never really trusted again.” Like I said, complicated.
            My last conversation with Twin, he called and asked me to bring some candy up to him at the hospital. As was typical, Twin was quite specific in what he wanted. “Bring me some Werther’s root beer barrels,” he said. It was not the first time he was “terribly sensitive and exacting.” He was not happy that I would not come right away. I was busy. I never got him the candy. He left the hospital, spent a few days at the boardinghouse where he lived, and then went to a different hospital where he died.
            There was another phone call from him between the time he left one hospital and went to another. He left a message. He was mad that I had not answered my phone. I was angry at his anger and did not call him back. I had been down this path with him before, many times. I thought I would hear from him again. I thought he would call in a few days with a new request, and this time I would be able to help him, and we would forget my previous failure.

            He died before that happened. Maybe we both have some unfinished business. For myself, I will ask for the grace of faith of which St. Vincent de Paul wrote, “you will by the light of faith see that the Son of God, who willed to be poor, is represented to us by these poor people.” In that faith I will remember with love Twin, and Sarah. Especially when September 27th rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment