Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Jesus' Promises to Be With Us

esus made a few promises to his disciples about when they would experience his presence after he was gone from this earth. And generally churches and Christians are pretty good about addressing two of those promises. 
Jesus promised that he would be present in prayer since he said, “when two or three are gathered in my name, I will be there among them” (Mt 18:19-20).
Jesus also promised that he would be present when disciples gathered to share in what is now called “The Lord’s Supper” or “Eucharist.” He gave rather explicit instructions to “do this in memory of me” (Matthew 26:26-28, Mark 14:22-24, Luke 22:19, 1 Corinthians 11:24). Additionally, there is the famous Gospel story of two disciples on the road to Emmaus after Jesus’ execution. These disciples encountered the risen Jesus when they broke bread with him (Luke 24:28-32).
Finally, and just as explicitly, Jesus promised that he would be present whenever his disciples serve the poor (Mt 25:31-46). In fact, Jesus directly identifies with the poor, “for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me” (Mt 25:35-36).
Now here is what is wonderful. The churches that are participating in Room in the Inn (thank you Lisa Anderson), welcoming people who are experiencing homelessness in for a meal, and a safe, warm and hospitable place to stay are actually being blessed by the presence of Jesus. In each guest coming for food, drink, clothing, and care, in each stranger welcomed in this way, Jesus is present. 
What is also wonderful is that there is a church called "Grace Place" that is right in the women's prison here in Memphis, meeting Jesus in those incarcerated. Diane Harrison is providing leadership for that church.
Now here is what is surprising, how so many churches in Memphis apparently don’t care to meet Jesus in the poor and imprisoned.
Now here is what is NOT surprising, that the first witnesses to Jesus' resurrection were women, and that it is two women ministers who are leading the efforts in this city to be with the resurrected Jesus in the poor and imprisoned.

No comments:

Post a Comment