Thursday, July 31, 2014

Crucified and Risen

Our guests, Jesus promised, bring his presence to us (Mt 25:31-46).  Sometimes they bring the presence of the Crucified One, being crushed and put to death by the sin of the world.  Sometimes they bring the presence of the Resurrected One, victorious over death, proclaiming the power of life and love.  Sometimes the crucified Christ and the risen Christ are in the same guest at the same time.
Two days ago, a guest asked that we pray for his mother, ill in the hospital.  He cried when he said he wouldn’t be able to see her.  “The hospital is too far away to reach by bus, down in Desoto County just over the Mississippi state line.”  Today he told me with a smile that she is out of the hospital and he will go to visit her later in the afternoon.  She’s home and he can get there.
We learned today of the deaths of two former guests.  Mark R. was with us for several years before he got housing through the efforts of Alpha Omega, a Memphis organization that works with veterans.  He tragically drowned a few months ago.  Mark was a steady quiet guest with a ready smile.  Willie never came to Manna House very often.  George as he told me about Willie said I probably wouldn’t remember him since he came so infrequently.  And George was right.
Guests come and go and we have a hard time keeping track of everyone.  I’m saddened not only to learn of Mark’s death, but also to not be able to put a face on the name “Willie.”
Later in the backyard, a guest told me of his struggle with prostate cancer.  “I just finished eight months of radiation.”  This led another guest to share about his ongoing battle with colon cancer. “I’m done with chemo.  Couldn’t eat.  I’ll just see what happens.”  Though one said that he is in remission and the other that he wasn’t sure how long he’d go on, both were matter of fact talking about their cancer.  Both were also at peace with how they are doing.
Another guest who has long struggled with mental illness, asked me to pray with her.  She took my hand and then instructed me to place my other hand on her head.
“For what shall we pray?” I asked.
“Begin with thanks.  I have a lot to be thankful for.  I’m housed after a long time homeless.  I’m grateful that Manna House was here for me when I was on the streets.”
“Ok.  Anything else?”
“Pray that my mind can stay straight, sometimes I get lost or confused.”
So we prayed.  I prayed out loud while she silently bowed her head.  When I was done she said “thank you” and got up to leave.
Another guest just got out of the penal farm.  The only clothes he owns he was wearing.  “When I got out they gave me these old jeans, with holes in them.  I guess that’s the style now, so I’m ok with it.”
I saw a guest who was standing off alone drinking his coffee, and I asked him how he was doing.  “Blest.  Making the best of it.”
“What will you be doing the rest of the day?”
“I’m going to visit my Mom.  I go every day.”
“That’s very good of you.”
“I can do it because I’m not working.  I have heart problems and can’t work.  So that frees me up to visit my Mom.  She’s 93 and not doing well.  I guess I’m blessed to have this bad heart.  Maybe it’s not so bad after all.”
 Sometimes the crucified Christ and the risen Christ are in the same guest at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment