Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Walking in Midtown on a Mission to Manna House

Once in a while when I go for a walk, I head to Manna House in order to change over the laundry.  Since we do four or more loads each day Manna House is open, there’s always one of us who has to go back later in the afternoon to take switch over laundry from washers to dryers, and take the clothes out of the dryers and do some folding.    Having to go to Manna House to do this laundry gives me a little added motivation to get out the door.  My walk has a direction and purpose beyond exercise.
            Inevitably, I run into Manna House guests along the way as I head down Madison. Today was no different.  From the porch of an empty house a small gathering of folks resting in the shade called out their greetings.  We talked a bit about the old Krosstown Kleaners, just across the street from where they were resting.  The "Kleaners" has gone out of business but still sports its famous sign, “Jesus is Lord, Check for Web Specials.”  Jesus has apparently taken over the building, as a number of people are now making it a place to sleep.
            A bit further down Madison, just past Cleveland and before Claybrook, I go by the empty building that used to be the Western Steakhouse Elvis liked to frequent.  I am walking where Elvis walked!
            I decide to continue to Montgomery before turning toward Jefferson.  This way I get to see all the campaign signs and workers at the back of Mississippi Boulevard Church, an early polling place.  Imagine, this used to be Bellevue Baptist before the “Six Flags Over Jesus” place opened. 
            When I arrive at Manna House, I can see down to Claybrook and Jefferson.  A few folks are in the little park at the corner, but other than that the neighborhood is quiet.  This park is the project of All Saints Presbyterian Church.  They’ve turned a vacant lot into a gathering space, including a community garden, and when someone on the streets dies, there is almost always a memorial erected there for a few days.  Makes me think of Tony Bone who died this past winter.
            Leaving Manna House (see how quick switching over laundry can be!), I head up to Montgomery.  But this time, instead of returning to Madison, I turn right to go out to Poplar.  On the front porches of the boarding houses on Montgomery folks are enjoying the pleasant weather, and I get to see a few more Manna House guests.  We exchange greetings and waves and we agree it is fine day to be outside.
            When I get to Poplar, I pause in front of what used to be Temple Israel.  The building is now owned by Mississippi Boulevard Church.  The sanctuary building is empty and missing a few bricks from its façade, but the old synagogue buildings house a charter school. 
            Just a few more blocks and I’m at the intersection of Poplar and Cleveland.  I remember that it was here that two African American women were abducted by two white Memphis police officers back in the 1940’s.  The women were raped, and though the police officers were charged with the crime, they were not convicted.  These kinds of stories were quite common in the pre-civil rights era South.  Rosa Parks got her start in civil rights work in Montgomery, Alabama organizing around similar cases of rape of African American women.
            As I continue up Poplar, I run into several more Manna House guests.  This is a main thoroughfare for people on the streets walking various places.
            I eventually turn right onto Angelus because I am drawn to the Bettis family cemetery that is tucked in just behind the Cash Saver near Home Depot.  They farmed this land back in the early 1800’s.  Almost directly across the street from the family cemetery are some current farmers, a small community garden organized by the neighborhood. 
            Coming back onto Madison, I run into another Manna House guest.  He’s pushing a cart filled with various treasures found from dumpsters or left on people’s curbs for trash.  We both agree it is a marvelous day for a walk in Midtown.
            Just a few more blocks and I’m home.  Walking connects me with the neighborhood, and with my neighbors on the streets.  I have time to talk with folks I run into, but also to think and to remember.  Not a bad way to spend an hour or so.

            

No comments:

Post a Comment