Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pray for Ralph Dukes

Pray for Ralph Dukes

In the early days of Manna House, when our finances were at their most vulnerable, I received a note from the Open Door Community, and a check enclosed from Ralph Dukes.  Ralph was a member of the Open Door, and he had reached the age when he would begin receiving a social security check.  But as a member of the Open Door, he could not keep that money; he had to designate it for another place.  Ralph chose Manna House.
For over five years Ralph’s check would arrive each month, always with a little note from Dick Rustay.  Ralph was easily the most consistent and largest donor to Manna House for those years.  Without his giving, Manna House might not have made it.  
Ralph came to the Open Door from the streets.  His street name was “Dead Eye” because he had a bad eye, barely open.  He was an incorrigible alcoholic.  A new resident volunteer at the Open Door who did not know Ralph’s history very well invited Ralph in to live there.  The judgment of the seasoned members of the community was that Ralph would last maybe a day or two before he returned to the streets.  Ralph lived at the Open Door for well over 30 years. He remained at the community until just over a year ago when his failing health meant he had to live at a place that had nursing care.  He told me once, “The Open Door saved my life.”
When I first came to the Open Door in the Spring of 1987, I became a “grits cook” for the Butler Street Breakfast that the community served for homeless folks.  Ralph made the coffee.  I’d arrive at the Open Door around 6:00am and Ralph would already be up making the coffee.  We’d talk, about baseball (Ralph was a huge fan of the Atlanta Braves), about the blues (Ralph became my teacher, introducing me to a wide variety of blues musicians), and sometimes about politics (Ralph never thought too highly of mainstream politicians), and whatever was happening in our lives.  His encouragement kept me going through my graduate studies at Emory.  Ralph was a big reason I was able to get a PhD.  He’d tell me, “You’re smart enough.”
Ralph had been a shop teacher before alcohol had disrupted his life.  In his physical build and in his curmudgeonly good humor, Ralph reminded me of my Dad.  Whenever I asked Ralph how he was doing he’d respond, “Same old, same old” (my Dad’s response to the same question was always “Mean as ever”).
One Spring, after I had moved to Memphis, Ralph came here for his vacation.  He stayed with me, and we took in the Beale Street Music Festival.  We spent the entire festival in the “Blues Tent.”  He also insisted that we eat at McDonalds at least once a day.  I was able to pry him away for some BBQ and catfish a couple of times.

This afternoon, I received word from Ed Loring at the Open Door Community that Ralph Dukes is in ICU and is dying.  Please keep Ralph in your prayers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment