Monday, November 24, 2014

White Supremacy, Homelessness, and Ferguson

White Supremacy, Homelessness, and Ferguson

I awaited the Ferguson grand jury decision this afternoon after spending the morning at Manna House.  Most of our guests at Manna House are African American.  I’m guessing nobody who just read that sentence is surprised.     
Ta-Nehisi Coates in “The Case for Reparations,” (Atlantic Monthly, May 21, 2014) detailed both the historic and contemporary realities in the U.S. that hold African Americans back economically and politically.  It is the ugly and brutal story of the power of a system of white supremacy to choke off economic and political gains for African Americans. 
Related to this story is the story of homelessness among African Americans. African Americans make up almost 50% of the homeless population in this country.  In Memphis, 62% of those experiencing homelessness are African American, according to the Mayors’ Task Force on Homelessness.  Meanwhile the poverty rate in Memphis among African Americans is nearly 34%.  People are homeless because of poverty.  They don’t have the economic resources to rent an apartment or own a home.  And poverty among African Americans is interwoven with a white supremacist economic system.
Meanwhile, according to the FBI’s most recent accounts of “justifiable homicide,” in the seven years between 2005 and 2012, a white officer used deadly force against a black person almost two times every week.  A quick visit to 201 Poplar (the Shelby County courthouse and jail) will reveal the preponderance of black people under the control of the criminal justice system here in Memphis.  Michelle Alexander in her book, “The New Jim Crow” details how the U.S. criminal justice system has functioned and continues to function as a means of control over African Americans.  White supremacy is institutionalized in both policing and the courts.
No matter what the Grand Jury decides in Ferguson, these institutional and cultural realities will remain in place.  And that is why a social movement has emerged in Ferguson.   
What does this have to do with Manna House?  Just this morning a guest approached me to get on the shower list.  Since the shower list was full, he talked with me about why he desperately needed a shower.
“I’m heading down to 201 Poplar.  I’m probably going to jail.  But maybe if I look right, they’ll go easy.”  He didn’t seem very confident in making that statement, and I share his lack of confidence.
Meanwhile, a social worker came by looking for a man I’ll call “Mike.”  Mike just got out of jail last week after 18 months.  He came to Manna House and we gave him enough clothes to make it through the weekend.  The local DA’s office sought the maximum sentences for Mike for criminal trespass and panhandling.  Mike is black and mentally ill and has a long history of minor criminal offenses, all having to do with his being on the streets.  The criminal justice system just keeps sucking him up and spitting him out.  Those who work in the system keep their jobs thanks to Mike and others like him.
Another African American guest and I got into a conversation about the recent election.  “I didn’t vote,” he said, “I wanted to, but I have a felony conviction.”
This past Sunday, the Gospel reading many of us heard in our churches was Matthew 25:31-46.  There Jesus highlights his identification with those regarded with disdain, “just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me” (Mt 25:40).  Jesus is not identifying with those wielding power in a white supremacist system. 
In the first reading this past Sunday, God spoke through the prophet Ezekial, “I will seek the lost, and I will bring back the strayed, and I will bind up the injured, and I will strengthen the weak, but the fat and the strong I will destroy. I will feed them with justice” (Ezekial 34:16).  God makes God’s judgment, and it doesn’t look good for the supporters of the white supremacy system.




No comments:

Post a Comment